While watching red carpet coverage of the Oscars a few years ago, I vaguely remember seeing a blonde bombshell wearing a rather simple red dress. I had no idea who she was. I figured she was some random starlet who was probably dating somebody important enough to be invited to the Oscars.
I was wrong. She was Jennifer Lawrence, she wasn’t anybody’s date, and she was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for the low-budget film “Winter’s Bone.”
Fast forward a few years, and now JLaw is the girl I wish was my best friend. In fact, it seems like every girl wants to be friends with her and every guy wants to date her. Why? Because she’s relatable. Because she doesn’t fit the celebrity mold. Because she isn’t afraid to be herself.
Sure, she wears couture designer clothing, but she admits she has no idea what “couture” means. She once told Conan O’Brien that she creepily followed Full House star John Stamos around a party, but refused to speak to him because she was too scared. She told Jay Leno that she got into a car accident because she thought she saw Honey Boo Boo driving down the road.
But perhaps one Jennifer’s most laudable attributes is her willingness to challenge Hollywood’s beauty ideals. She has stated on numerous occasions that she refuses to conform to the scary skinny standards that Hollywood glorifies.
In other words: she’s just like us! She is random, she loves food but hates exercise, and she loves nothing more than a night in with a few good friends.
Still not convinced that JLaw is your imaginary celebrity BFF? Here are some more Jennifer-isms:
- “You know that Kate Moss quote that goes ‘Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels’? Well, I can name A LOT of things that taste better than skinny feels.” (during a red carpet interview at the 2011 Oscars)
- “I’m totally happy to be here. I can’t wait to use my losing face!” (during a red carpet interview with TV Guide at the 2011 Oscars)
- “I really would not call myself a fashion icon. I would call myself somebody who gets dressed by professionals. I would call me more of a monkey.” (talking about her personal style)
- “I hate saying, ‘I like exercising.’ I want to punch people who say that in the face.” (during an interview with Glamour magazine in 2012)
- “I go to the interviews, and I’m like a chihuahua! I’m shaking!” (during an interview with David Letterman)
- Reporter: You’ve been rumored to be with Prince Harry for the past six months.
Jennifer: REALLY? Oh, my God, that’s so exciting!
- “I eat like a caveman.” (during an interview with Elle magazine in 2012)
- “Screw those people… What are you going to do? Be hungry every single day to make other people happy? That’s just dumb…These unrealistic expectations for women – it’s disappointing that the media keeps it alive and fuels that fire. It’s something that really bothers me, because I love to eat.” (at a Q&A session during a promotional tour for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire in 2013)
- “I wish this was like Mean Girls so I could break this award and throw it at all of you.” (during an acceptance speech at the 2013 People’s Choice Awards)